Join the List Server for alumni information and more!
We have set up a members only listserver for our JHS alumni use. This message board works like a bulletin board, where posts are made available to all members. Postings can include anything pertinent to our class, including member contact and email exchanges, classmate searches, and events. Only members may post, and all email addresses are hidden. The committee will post event information and website updates here.
You are encouraged to join this group instead of Classmates-dot-com. Our service is free (no strings), and if it doesn't work for you, you really can unsubscribe!
Click this link to browse the JHS 1966 MESSAGE BOARD as a guest. You can join the group using the link below.
Note: Submissions to join require confirmation using a valid email address.
- Live outside of Joplin? Use this link to get The Joplin Globe - Online Edition.
- Local feature stories and area happenings can be found at the Joplin Independent.
- Get information about our area from the Joplin Convention Visitors Bureau.
- Our Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce is very active promoting local businesses.
- Planning a trip to Joplin? Here are the lowest local GAS Prices from around the area.
- Located at Schifferdecker Park, the old Tri-State Mineral Museum has been completely made over
into The Joplin Museum Complex and houses several different collections.
- There is always something interesting going on at The Spiva Center for the Arts in downtown Joplin.
- If genealogy is your thing, the Missouri Secretary of State has an online searchable database
with downloadable Death Certificates from 1910 to 50 years ago.
The index has PDF scans of certificates and updated monthly. Use the advanced search for more flexibility.
- The Virtual Wall Veterans Memorial lists casualties of the Vietnam Conflict www.virtualwall.org and is searchable by state.
- JHS - Joplin High School home page. School and foundation information, merchandise, event listings, and more.
- MSSC is now MSSU - Missouri Southern State University. Located at Newman and Duquesne roads.
- OCC - Ozark Christian College located on North Main Street Road
- MSU - Missouri State University in Springfield. Second largest school in Missouri. Home of the Bears.
- MU - University of Missouri, Columbia, MO. Home of the Tigers.
- For fun, this little movie "Looking For My Wallet" (2.5MB) sums up what we all are experiencing these days!
- Having learned of the demise of a certain establishment in Galena Kansas, Vicki Mays and Jim Scott recited
their renditions of The Ode to the Green Parrot at the 40th class reunion.
For your enjoyment, the PDF files of Vicki's version and Jim's version can be downloaded.
- A group of Mr. Sovereign's former students have started an endowment for a scholarship to MSSU.
Click here to go to the Oliver & Roberta Sovereign Facebook page.
- Some of the favorite strips we grew up can be found at GoComics.com, and they can email them to you daily!
- The IRS could learn from Glenn Reeves. Download his spreadsheet and use EXCEL or OPEN OFFICE to help you file your taxes! (link updated 2015)
- Weatherbug has reporting stations and CAMS around the nation. This one is at the Joplin Regional Airport.
- NOAA Storm Prediction Center to see Joplin and vicinity convective outlooks and forecasts.
- RAP Get real time WX Data from GOES-10 and GOES-12 satellites with visible and Infrared images.
- Find WX for any city, state or ZipCode with Weather Underground. Use this link for Joplin and vicinity.
- Viruses, SPAM, and Hoaxes! Ever received an email that just begged to be passed on to all your friends!
Some with tear jerking stories, others with offers that seemed too good to be true? Some can be sinister.
Search SNOPES.COM - Urban Legends Reference Pages to determine authenticity.
This site is just plain interesting - it's amazing what people can think up!
- The darker side of the web? A little information about cookies, hackers, and viruses.
- For some fun and completely different, you can find famous (or infamous) quotations at WorldofQuotes.com,
the Quotes and Proverb archive.
- Have you ever seen an Iridium flare? They occur almost daily, but you must be looking in the right place at the
right time! At Heavens-Above, get accurate predictions for flares, satellite passes, comets, and more.
You will need to provide your Latitude and Longitude information to configure this website for your viewing.
We have set the location initially for central Joplin, Missouri.
- We live in a remarkable time, and news of scientific discoveries occur every day. NASA Science News
offers a free subscription service, or you can just browse from here.
- Keep abreast of astronomical events at SpaceWeather.com. This website offers a free email
subscription service in addition to a site full of interesting photos and hot topics. It is updated daily.
- A shameless plug for the Joplin Amateur Radio Club.
- The American Radio Relay League is a national organization for the benefit of amateur radio operators.
- Of course we can't forget September 19th. "Avast you lubbers!" "Arrr... " Talk like a Pirate Day.